Surprising Dental Care Statistics
There are some things we just assume are pretty universal about taking care of our teeth, right? We all brush twice a day, not everyone gets cavities … there are plenty of things you could think of that are typical oral hygiene habits.
At Overmeyer Family Dental we hate to be the bearer of unexpected – and surprising – news, but those things you think of as typical are anything but! There are some surprising dental statistics out there and they might just shock you!
Brushing Bits: Facts About Oral Hygiene
- Are you a twice-a-day brusher? If so, you’re among the mere 50 percent who brush twice a day. You would think that was a higher number, wouldn’t you? Men are the bigger culprits here – 49 percent brush twice daily as opposed to 56 percent of women.
- Regardless of gender only about half of us floss every day. That number is shocking when you compare it to the number of people who brush twice a day. We can tell you for certain that not all of the people who brush twice a day also floss! (Maybe that number is just the percent of people wholie about flossing every day)
- Another survey suggests that one in ten people simply forget to brush their teeth. We don’t understand how, honestly!
- Around half of people say they’re okay with sharing a toothbrush with someone else. Though, the further the relation the less they approve.
Tooth Decay Details (And Gum Disease, Too)
- Throughout your life you have around a 90 percent chance to end up with one or more cavities. If you’re one of those people who don’t brush their teeth twice a day maybe now is the perfect time to reconsider that bad habit!
- Around two thirds of people will end up withgum disease, which is the leading cause of tooth loss for adults. The best way to avoid that? Brushing and flossing as recommended!
- Of the people with gum disease, 64 percent are smokers – time to cut back for more than just your lungs!
- By the time you hit your 65th birthday your chances of developing gum disease are around 70 percent. If you’re in that 30 percent keep going strong!
Smile Stats: How Important Is A Good Look?
- 71 percent of women and 58 percent of men say a good smile is an essential part of being attracted to someone.
- Teeth consistently top the chart of the first thing we notice about someone. And on the reverse of that, hiding your smile gets noticed too!
- The stats support a bias when it comes to smiles: 45 percent of people think good teeth help land a job, and nearly 60 percent think people with straight teeth will have better jobs and be more successful.
- Almost three quarters of people trust someone with a good smile. And they’ll choose that over other markers of success like a good job, house, or car.
What Do All These Statistics Mean?
For better or worse all these stats mean that your smile really matters. In many cases it doesn’t even matter how good it is as much as how confident you are with it – but that confidence can be greatly affected by how nice it is!
Our Orlando dentist office offers a variety of ways to keep your smile healthy and happy, from preventive care to cosmetics and restoration – we can help! Our goal is to keep you in those percentages of people with great smiles, great chances, and great oral health.
Just as our cleanings and exams can keep your mouth healthy it’s also essential that we work as a team to make your smile all it can be. Never neglect twice a day brushing or daily flossing, and also never neglect to see us twice a year for a cleaning and exam – it might be the most important part of your oral care routine!
Make Your Smile Great For Life
Caring for your smile is a fundamental part of making it beautiful. We want to be able to help you make any cosmetic changes you need for the look you want, but we can’t do it when your smile isn’t in tip-top shape. If you want to see us for any dental need we’re ready to help you today at Overmeyer Family Dental – just call!