Protect Your Child’s Teeth With Custom Mouthguards
Summer is one of the most active times of the year. Many of our children will be spending their free time playing sports or getting ready for athletics in the coming school year. A qualified Orlando FL general dentist can help your children keep their mouths healthy and looking great with a custom mouthguard.
At Overmeyer Family Dental, we can craft a custom mouthguard for your active children or even you! Today we want to review a few facts about oral injuries and what you can gain from giving your child — or anyone in your family who is active — a custom mouthguard. Give us a call today at 407-705-3965 to schedule your visit.
A Few Scary Facts About Dental Injuries
Dental or facial injuries can happen in contact sports or even traditional non-contact sports. We have treated patients with injuries from just about every sport. From our experience, it’s better to air on the side of caution and always wear a mouthguard if contact is remotely possible. Dental injuries can happen with milliseconds, but you can spend a lifetime — and thousands of dollars — dealing with the after effects. Here are some facts about sports-related dental injuries.
- Every year in this country about 5 million teeth are knocked out during sports, which amounts to about $500 million in dental work.
- Before the introduction of mouthguards in football, it’s estimated that between 24 and 50 percent of all football injuries were dental injuries.
- Those who don’t wear a mouthguard during sports are 60 percent more likely to damage their teeth.
- Males are twice as likely to suffer dental injuries than females.
- The lifetime cost of replacing a tooth can be about $20,000.
- The National Federation of State High School Associations has mandated the use of mouthguards in football, lacrosse, ice hockey and field hockey.
- Children are most likely to injure their teeth while playing basketball or baseball, two non-contact sports.
While a mouthguard can’t prevent every dental or oralfacial injury, it greatly reduces the risk. Additionally, most parents will spend thousands of dollars on dental preventive and orthodontic care for their children. Having your children wear mouthguards will protect your investment.
The American Dental Association recommends that people wear mouthguards while participating in every type of sport from football to volleyball to weightlifting. Basically, if the sport involves a hard object, possible contact with others, or even the likelihood that you’ll clench your teeth, you should consider a mouthguard.
Reasons for a Custom Fit Mouthguard
You can find mouthguards at any drugstore or sporting goods store. We’re glad to see so much access to mouthguards, but generic or boil-and-bite mouthguards cannot protect your teeth the same way a custom mouthguard can.
At Overmeyer Family Dental, we’re using custom mouthguards to help children protect their teeth and gums. We take a quick impression of the mouth and then design the device to perfectly match your teeth — or your child’s teeth. You can even select your favorite colors or add team logos to the mouthguard.
We’ve found that the custom-fit mouthguard perform better (they withstand more force) and will not obstruct the airway. As a result, you or your child can perform without having to worry about damaging the teeth or having your mouthguard cause breathing trouble.
You can schedule a visit with our dental team whenever you call the office today at 407-705-3965.